Mathematics at Halewood Church of England Primary School
Position statement September 2016
What is the school trying to do to take maths forward to a mastery of maths approach?
From September 2015 planning and teaching of mathematics will be based upon a mastery approach whereby children are given a deeper and broader understanding of the key mathematical concepts rather than being accelerated quickly through new content. To aid this transition we will follow the medium term mathematics plans written by the Liverpool mathematics team.
What might be observed in a maths lesson?
- Review of marking and feedback
- Children working on related objectives
- Starter to practise/consolidate basic skills/previous learning/ counting
- A hook to engage children in learning (picture, scenario, story)
- Teacher modelling & demonstrating – images/manipulatives/ ICT
- Children using manipulatives/practical equipment
- Vocabulary – mathematical and reasoning vocabulary promoted throughout
- Talk partners
- Culture where children learn from their mistakes
- Open and probing questioning to deepen children's thinking
- Group work/ paired work/ independent work
- Practice and consolidation or enquiry/problem solving tasks, dependent on stage in teaching sequence
- Application of skills in a variety of contexts to deepen understanding
- Teaching assistant working with targeted children/group
- Self assessment of learning
Please note lesson structure will be very dependent on learning outcome/ stage in teaching sequence. Sometimes children will work independently from the start while others lessons will involve more teacher led modelling and interactive teaching.
How are interventions addressed quickly so that pupils can keep up?
- Teacher/Teaching assistant focus groups are monitored and activities adapted during the lesson if necessary
- PP+ children targeted - afternoon support HM
- Targeted support – afternoon KH
- 1:1/ small group intervention following the lesson on the same day for children who have not grasped concepts
- Pre-teaching to targeted children before new concepts are introduced
How are rapid graspers stretched?
- Reasoning challenges
- Enquiry tasks
- Broader enrichment tasks in a range of contexts
- Opportunities to write explanations
- Opportunities to explain to others
- Opportunities to generate own questions and problems - innovate
How is attainment and progress in mathematics tracked?
- Daily informal assessment and evaluations
- Intervention children – evaluation of learning by TA/Teacher book
- Targeted support children have target cards
- Ongoing review of KPIS/Learning objectives with a termly teacher judgement against an AWL standard
- EYFS/Y1 assessment tasks/observations
- Y2-6 Termly test – used alongside teacher assessment based upon class work/observations and assessment tasks
- Primary progress tracker