Every child in reception, year 1 and year 2 in state-funded schools will receive a free school lunch from September 2014.
Why choose school meals?
School meals offer great value for money and provide your child with a nutritious, tasty meal cooked fresh every day. School meals:
- Are nutritionally balanced to ensure they are low in fat, sugar and salt and high in vitamins and minerals - healthier than many packed lunches
- Help your child to concentrate throughout the day - a hot meal at lunch-time provides energy - as well as encouraging them to try new foods.
- Are produced to a high quality using locally produced ingredients
- Help your child to learn the social skills that eating and interacting with others brings
- Great value of money at only £1.70 a day.
School meals are free for your children if you receive:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- An income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit and have an annual income of £16,190 or less
- The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
You're not entitled to free school meals if you receive Working Tax Credit.
To apply for free school meals, complete the attached free school meals application form and return to any One Stop Shop.